You can use MetaMask with your Trezor device to check your account balances (Ethereum and ERC20 tokens) and sign transactions. Moreover, you can use it to manage your smart contracts and ÐApps (if the developer has implemented the integration) — anything that you can do with MetaMask. You do not need to transfer ethers or tokens to MetaMask before dealing with contracts, cutting the one time-consuming task.
Since Trezor secures your private keys, you no longer need to rely on MetaMask to keep your keys safe. Your keys remain only in your Trezor device, protected by the hardware.
How to use MetaMask with Trezor
- Download the latest version of MetaMask and install it in Google Chrome (the only supported browser at the moment).
- Click on the account icon at the top right corner and select Connect Hardware Wallet.
- Plug in your Trezor device and click on Connect Trezor.
- A Trezor Connect prompt will pop up, with a request to export the public key. Approve to continue.
- Select the account you want to use and click on Unlock.
- You have successfully imported an account (its public keys) to MetaMask. Repeat for other accounts if you have more than one.
- Fill in the transaction details.
- Click on Next and then Confirm.
- Check the transaction details on your Trezor device and confirm.
You can also use MetaMask to sign messages. Message signing allows you to sign in into certain ÐApps, such as CryptoKitties - see the short video below.
See also this blog article.