Bitcoin firmware, or Bitcoin-only firmware, is a special version of the Trezor firmware which only facilitates Bitcoin operations. Running the Bitcoin-only firmware is optional and requires the user to install it manually.
Once it is loaded on the device, Trezor Suite will restrict the selection of available cryptocurrencies. The Bitcoin-only firmware was introduced on 4 September, 2019.
- When loading the Bitcoin firmware on your Trezor Model T, you must have firmware version 2.1.0 or newer installed on your device first.
- Trezor devices running the Bitcoin-only firmware cannot be used as two-factor authentication tokens (U2F/WebAuth).
Installing the Bitcoin-only firmware
Using a command line interface (trezorctl 0.11.5 and newer)
1. Use the command
trezorctl firmware-update --bitcoin-only to initiate the installation.
2. Confirm the action on your device.
Using a command line interface (trezorctl 0.11.4 and older)
1. Download the corresponding firmware binary file:
2. Open the terminal and access the folder containing the file.
3. Connect your Trezor in bootloader mode.
4. Use the command
trezorctl firmware-update -f "filename" to initiate the installation.
trezorctl firmware-update -f trezor-1.10.5-bitcoinonly.bin
5. Confirm the action on your device.
Installing custom firmware using Trezor Suite
Custom firmware can also be installed on your Trezor hardware wallet via Trezor Suite, as detailed in the following guides: