User manual:Recovering a wallet with Shamir Backup
This article aims to provide a simple step-by-step manual for recovering an existing wallet utilizing the Shamir backup feature.
Recovery refers to the process of using recovery shares to restore and enable access to already existing accounts.
For detailed information about the method of splitting the backup into multiple shares, see Shamir Backup.
Preparing your Trezor for recovery
My Trezor is new and/or empty
Your Trezor is ready for you to restore your wallet. Skip to Recovering the wallet.
My Trezor is initialized
If you lost your PIN and need access to your accounts, or if you wish to load a different seed onto your device, you will need to wipe the memory of your Trezor. See Wiping the Trezor device for detailed instructions.
Important remarks before you start
The entire recovery process is held directly on the Trezor device which you can operate using its touchscreen. Never type your recovery shares into a computer. If you find a website asking for the words of your backup in a straight sequence, it is probably a scam.
Your Trezor device will enter the #Recovery_mode when you initiate the process. Once in the recovery mode, the device will remember where you left it if you unplug the cable from your Trezor Model T.
You can enter each #Recovery_share one at a time, move geographically, and then continue the process after you plug your Trezor device into a power source (it can be a powerbank, mobile phone, or even just a plain electrical socket).
Things you need to perform the recovery of a wallet using Shamir Backup
- Trezor Model T with firmware 2.1.3 or newer
- Compatible supported operating system and configuration
- Internet connection for initiating the recovery process
- Required number of recovery shares to reach the threshold (determined while generating the wallet)
Recovering the wallet
1. Visit Trezor Beta Wallet
2. Connect your Trezor Model T
3. Click on Recover wallet
4. Click on
5. Check the ✔ if you used a passphrase before and click on Continue.
You can also leave the passphrase checkbox unchecked for now and activate the feature later if you decide to do so.
6. Confirm your wish to recover a wallet by tapping on
7. Your device has now entered Recovery Mode. You can safely unplug your Trezor and continue later at any time after you connect your device to a power source (it does not have to be a computer). Tap on Select to continue.
8. Select the length of the word-sequence used in your backup. The device will recognize that if you select 20 or 33, you are recovering a wallet using Shamir Backup.
9. Start entering the shares by tapping the "Enter share" button.
10. Type the words of the recovery share in the order specified on the device.
11. Confirm that the word is correct by clicking on it.
12. Repeat steps 10 and 11 until you add all 20 words of your share.
13. After successfully entering the first share, the device will recognize the necessary threshold and let you know how many shares you still need to enter. Tap on Enter shareto start entering the next share.
14. Continue entering the recovery shares until the threshold is reached. After the threshold is reached by confirming the last word of the last necessary share, you will see a confirmation screen on your device.
15. If you performed recovery externally, utilizing Recovery Mode, you can now connect your device to a computer and access your wallet.