User manual:Advanced recovery
The purpose of this article is to describe the process of advanced recovery and how to carry it out.
In contrast with the standard recovery process, the advanced recovery completely hides the words entered. Instead of writing whole words in a shuffled order, the user inputs individual letters on the PIN pad. The connected computer never knows what letter is being entered, as the layout of the PIN pad continually changes.
Advanced Recovery process
Using the advanced recovery will require more time compared to the standard recovery method.
- Start by plugging your uninitialized or wiped (see Wiping) Trezor into your computer. Navigate to https://wallet.trezor.io and select Recover wallet.
- Select the length of your recovery seed. Do not forget to check the Advanced recovery checkbox.
- Input the individual letters that the seed word contains. On your computer screen, you will see a PIN pad, just like the one you use to enter your PIN.
- The Trezor device screen shows a virtual keyboard composed of nine buttons, each assigned to one, two or even three letters. Choose the letter by clicking on the corresponding button on your computer. The layout of the letters changes with every input.
- You have to type the first four letters for each word. Each letter needs to be selected individually. For instance, let’s say our first word is “heavy”. You would have to click on the following sequence of button: H-L >> HA-HE >> HEA >> heavy.
- Now repeat the same process for the next 23 words to finish the advanced recovery process.