User manual:Emergency situations
The purpose of this article is to help the user combat and navigate through unexpected circumstances which threaten the safety and accessibility of user's accounts.
Issues described in this article are mostly preventable and easily manageable by following the guidelines described in Security Best Pratices.
Use the table of contents displayed below to navigate towards the section which most accurately describes your situation.
- 1 You have lost access to your accounts
- 2 You have lost your recovery seed
- 3 You have sent a transaction to a different blockchain
You have lost access to your accounts
This section of the article assumes your device has been lost, misplaced, or stolen.
You have lost your Trezor device
In case you lose your device, the safest option is to get a new Trezor device and use the recovery seed to recover your Trezor Wallet.
Your recovery seed is available
Use your spare Trezor device to recover your seed. If you do not have another Trezor device available, consider buying one and use it to recover your accounts.
If you do not have a spare Trezor device available and you need immediate access to your accounts, use a compatible third-party app and export your recovery seed.
Your recovery seed is not available
Unfortunately, there is no way to restore the access to your accounts if you lost all records of your recovery seed. You can look at the list of all possible words and try to remember (this would probably only help if you used to know your seed by memory). The list is freely available on GitHub.
You have forgotten or lost your PIN
You can always reset your PIN by wiping the device and recovering it using your recovery seed. See Wiping the Trezor device for detailed instructions.
You have forgotten or lost your passphrase
Similarly to the loss of your recovery seed, this is also a fatally unfortunate circumstance. Nobody can help you access the passphrase protected accounts.
You have lost your recovery seed
Your recovery seed is the essential record of your Trezor device. Without the recovery seed, you will not be able to recover your Trezor Wallet in case your Trezor device is wiped out, lost or damaged. You should never update your Trezor device's firmware without your recovery seed.
You have one Trezor device available with access to your accounts
If you lost your recovery seed, but still have access to your Trezor Wallet, you should move your funds elsewhere immediately. You can then wipe the Trezor device and create a new Trezor Wallet with new recovery seed.
It is recommended to have a spare Trezor device for situations like these. If you have time to do so, order the second Trezor device from Trezor shop. When your new device arrives, continue with the steps outlined in You have multiple Trezor devices available
If the time is pressuring you, consider taking these steps:
- Send your cryptocurrencies to a third-party compatible wallet.
- Wipe the device.
- Initialize your device again. Continue with creating the back-up for this wallet by carefully writing down the recovery seed offline.
- Generate the necessary receiving address(es).
- Transfer the cryptocurrencies from the third-party wallets to your newly backed-up Trezor wallet.
You have multiple Trezor devices available
In this scenario, you should be able to transfer your cryptocurrencies to addresses generated by your other device. Get a hold of your second device and proceed with the steps outlined below:
Skip the first step if you wish to use the already initialized Trezor (with existing and backed-up accounts).
- Initialize your other device. Continue with creating the back-up for this wallet by carefully writing down the recovery seed offline.
- Generate the necessary receiving address(es) and write it / them down.
- Transfer the cryptocurrencies from the device with the original recovery seed into the other device.
- Wipe the original device, and use it to generate a new seed.
You do not have a Trezor device
There is no way to gain access to your accounts if you lost all of your devices and all records of your seed.
You have sent a transaction to a different blockchain
See Coin recovery tool for more information and detailed instructions.